On November 8, 2012 the Governor's Office of Workforce Development (GOWD), in partnership with the Georgia Department of Labor launched several statewide workforce development initiatives aimed to aid Georgia’s returning veterans.
The Department of Driver Services joined this initiative by partnering with GOWD to expedite the entry of veterans into civilian employment through the transportation industry.
Military Service Members: Applying For a Georgia Commercial License
Effective July 8, 2014 to July 8, 2016, the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver (also known as Troops to Trucks) will allow qualified military service members the option to apply for a Commercial Driver License (CDL) without having to take the skills (Road) test.
Military service members that satisfy ALL the following criteria are eligible to participate in the Troops to Trucks program;
- Active duty or military service members that have been honorably discharged within 1 year or less.
- Active duty or military service members that are experienced in operating a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) that is of the same class and type, for at least 2 years immediately preceding his/her honorable discharge from the military.
Note: Military service members that DO NOT meet the above criteria must apply through the regular CDL process. For more information visit the CDL Homepage at http://www.dds.ga.gov/commercial/index
Military service members must complete the Military Skills Test Wavier form in its entirety.
- The front page must be completed and signed by the military service member.
- The back page must be completed and signed by his/her Commanding Officer (CO).
Note: The CO must certify what kind of vehicle(s) the applicant has operated, for at least 2 years immediately preceding his/her discharge from the military. Military Skills Test Wavier.
Fees that will be waived:
- CDL Application Fee -$35
- License Fee - $20
Military CDL Skills Test Waiver(also known as Troops to Trucks)Application Process
Please follow the below steps to complete the Troops to Trucks submission process:
- The military service member must visit one of the following DDS Customer Service Centers to complete the appropriate knowledge test(s);
Military CDL Skills Test Waivers
- Complete the Commercial Driver’s License application and notify the team member you are participating in the Troops to Trucks program.
To ensure you have all the necessary documentation/forms please reference the following required documents:
- Military service member must successfully pass the knowledge tests (minimum passing score 80 for all CDL Test)
Note: The CDL knowledge test(s) cannot be waived
Commercial Driver’s License: Restrictions
Based on the responses from the Military Skills Test Wavier application the following restrictions may apply:
- Full air brakes - No restriction code required
- Air over Hydraulic - Restriction code Z
- No Air brakes - Restriction code L
- Only goose neck truck (no Truck Trailer) - Restriction code O
- Automatic Transmission – Restriction code E
Note: The CDL knowledge test(s) cannot be waived. The transfers of School Bus(s) and /or Passenger (P) endorsements under this Waiver program are prohibited.
Last Updated On: 9/4/2014