On Dec. 10, 2014, DDS will be transitioning to a new Call Center provider. Should a temporary disruption of service occur, rest assured that DDS will work diligently to correct the issue as quickly as possible. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Lost or Stolen License or ID Card

Click here to replace your Georgia license using our Internet Services.

Click here if you are not a US citizen

 You may replace a lost or stolen license or ID card, or permit at any Customer Service Center for $5.00. To obtain a replacement, you must bring either:

  • One ORIGINAL OR CERTIFIED DOCUMENT from Category A in the name as it appears on your license. NO COPIES OR FAXES.


  • Two documents from Category B in the name as it appears on your driver’s license. 

    All documents must be in English. 

Category A - One document is required from this category.

  • U.S. Passport or Passport Card that has been expired for less than 10 years.
  • Certified copy of a birth certificate filed with the State Office of Vital Statistics or equivalent agency in the customer’s state of birth (hospital certificates are not acceptable)
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240, DS-1350 or FS 545)
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (form I-551)
  • Valid, unexpired Employment Authorization Document (EAD), Form I-766 or Form I-688B
  • Valid, unexpired Foreign Passport with a valid unexpired U.S. visa affixed accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant’s most recent admittance into the United States
  • Certificate of Naturalization (Form N-550 or N-570)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (Form N-560 or N-561)

Category B - Two documents are required from this category.

  • Original or certified copy of Marriage License. Please note: Georgia law prohibits state agencies from accepting same sex marriage licenses for any purpose.
  • Original Social Security Card
  • Previous Year Income Tax Return
  • Current Auto, Home, Life or Health Insurance Policy (Cards Not Accepted)
  • Current Automobile Registration Receipt
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Valid or expired Military Identification Card  and/or Military Orders

DDS can change a driver's license or ID number under the following circumstances only:

  • The current license number is the applicant's social security number.

  • The applicant's driver's license and/or identification card has been stolen (the applicant must present to DDS a police report stating the license was stolen.)
Last Updated On: 11/18/2014

How would you rate the quality of this article?


Comments Tell us why you rated the article this way.