A Georgia driver's license or ID Card can be renewed up to 150 days prior to the expiration date or if the driver’s license or ID card is not expired more than 2 years.
The renewed permanent driver's license or ID card will be delivered to the Post Office within 7 days after the transaction is completed. However, if a renewal includes an address change it generally takes 14-21 days to process in order to validate new addresses for security purposes
- Effective July 1, 2012, resulting from Federal requirements for the Real ID Act, DDS will begin issuing Secure ID Driver’s Licenses and ID Cards, Customers who are renewing or applying for the first time, must visit a DDS Customer Service Center in person and present documents proving identity, social security number and residential address. Click here for more information.
- Online Services: Your current license, ID or Permit must be Secure ID compliant, which will have a gold star printed in the upper right corner . Click here for more information.
- Certain customers may be eligible to renew by mail. Click here to see if you qualify.
Renewing Your Driver's License - In Person
The Department of Driver Services (DDS) issues a secure driver's license to help protect Georgians from identity theft. Persons applying for a renewal will be issued an interim driver's license while a permanent driver's license is being processed. To ensure receipt of the permanent driver's license the customer's current address must be on file with the Department of Driver Services (DDS).
- Complete a driver's license/ID card application.
- Take a new photo.
- Applicants who are 64 or older must pass a vision exam.
Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Click here for more information.
Note: Documents provided to prove identity must be original or certified copies, Photocopies will not be accepted.
- If applicant's Georgia driver's license is expired for two years or more the following tests must be taken and passed in order to obtain a driver's license.
- Road Signs
- Road Rules
- Road Skills Test
- Vision Exam
- Additional testing will be required to obtain a Class M, B or A license.
FEES and TERMS - Select for Details.
- Money Order
- Debit or Credit Card
- American Express, Discover, Master Card and Visa
Renewing Your Driver's License - Online Services
A customer account must be established to utilize the "Online Services". This account can be used to conduct an online service transaction, obtain information specific to your driving record or check the status of your order.
Listed below are the requirements to qualify driver's license/ID card renewal online:
- Effective July 1, 2012, one of your current license, ID or Permit documents must be a Secure ID compliant, which will have a gold star printed in the upper right corner . Click here for more information.
- Applicant holds only a regular non-commercial driver's license/permit/ID card that is current or has not been expired for more than 2 years.
- If applicant's driver's license is suspended, cancelled or revoked then only an ID card or limited permit can be renewed online.
- Applicant must be age 64 years or younger.
- Applicants age 59 years and older are only eligible for a 5 year driver's license.
- Applicant must be a Georgia resident.
- Applicant must be a US Citizen.
- A credit or debit card (Visa, Master card, American Express or Discover Card) is needed to process an online payment.
** Name changes cannot be processed online; legal documentation of the name change must be presented at a Customer Service Center.
Last Updated On: 12/10/2015