My DDS Logo
Pre-Apply for your CSC Visit
Alert Travel Alert: Plan ahead!! Temporary licenses and ID cards are no longer accepted by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) as proof of identification for boarding flights at airports. Please refer to the TSA web site for a list of acceptable documents.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Search by Keyword:  

  1. Can I keep my out of state or out of country license/ID and obtain a Georgia driver's license?

    Out of state licenses/ID cards (49 states plus District of Columbia) must be surrendered when a Georgia license/ID is issued.

    Non US citizens may keep their out of country/international license/ID even after obtaining a Georgia license/ID, with the exception of commercial license holders and US citizens who hold an out of country license.

  2. What are the different classes of licenses?

    Georgia driver's licenses are classified according to the type, weight  of vehicles you plan to operate, and age of driver.  Driver's License Classification

  3. I am new to Georgia. When can I apply for a driver's license?

    Once you have become a resident of the State of Georgia, you have 30 days to apply for a Georgia driver's license.  A person is a resident if any of the following apply: (1) A person who has a permanent home or abode in Georgia.  (2) A person who accepts employment or who enrolls his/her children in public or private school within 10 days of becoming employed in Georgia.  (3) Any person that has been present in the state for 30 days or more.  New to Georgia

  4. How can I renew my Georgia driver's license?

    Renewals may be done in person at any of our CSC locations.  Online renewals and mail-in renewals are available to those who qualify.  If you are renewing a driver's license,  a vision test is required for those who are 64 years of age or older.  Renewals

  5. Where can I take the Knowledge Exam (written exam)?

    The Knowledge Exam can be taken at all Customer Service Center locations except the Jackson location.  You do not need a  Reservation to take the Knowledge Exam.

  6. Can the Interim DL/ID be laminated?

    Customers should NOT laminate the Interim DL/ID as it will degrade the security features.

  7. I recently renewed my license for 8 years, now I'm moving out of state. Am I entitled to a refund?

    DDS does not offer any refunds for moving out of state.

  8. How can I change my name on my Georgia driver's license/ ID?

    You can obtain a name change on your Georgia driver's license/ ID by submitting a certified court order indicating the name change.  Marriage certificates, divorce decrees, adoption, gender change, and name change orders are accepted.  If you were married in Georgia after 1982 and wish to hyphenate your name, you must present a certified copy of the marriage license application stating the hyphenated name. Driver's license name changes must be done within 60 days of the  name change.

  9. I'm not prepared to take a picture; can I use the photo that's on file from my previous license/ ID?

    No, everyone applying, reinstating, or renewing a driver's license/ ID in person must take a new photo.

  10. Can I register to vote when I get my license?

    Yes, you can begin the process to register to vote when you obtain your license or ID. DDS will forward your voter application to the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office for handling.

    You should receive your voter precinct card within 30 days, if not please contact the Georgia Secretary of State

  11. Where do I find information on Customer Service Center locations and hours of operations?

    Please click on the Location link to find a Customer Service Center (CSC) location and hours. 

  12. Do I have to visit a Customer Service Center in my county or can I go to any location for service?

    You can visit any Customer Service Center (CSC) Location  and many of our services can be handled using online services.

  13. Is there a reduced fee if I register to be an organ donor?

    Georgia no longer offers an organ donor discount. For more information on registering as an organ donor, please go to our Organ Donor Program page.

  14. What do I do if I discovered that my temporary license contains an error resulting in an invalid license or identification?

    Please contact us immediately so we can replace the card at no charge to you.

  15. How long does it take for the new license to arrive ?

    You should receive your permanent DL/ID card within 14 days of receiving your temporary. However, please contact us if you have not received it after 30 days at 678-413-8400.

  16. Can I have both a Georgia driver’s license/permit and ID ?

    Yes, you can have different documents based on the services you are requesting; however, only one can be a Secure ID document.

  17. How do I change my class C license from under 21 format to over 21 format.

    You can request a replacement license online for $5.

  18. Can I still get a driver’s license if I am partially disabled?

    Depending on the nature of the disability, you may be able to obtain a license by using mechanical aids installed in your vehicle. Contact our Medical Liaison at 678-413-8760 for more information.

  19. Where can I find more information on school absences causing suspension?

    Please visit our Teen Driver page for more information. 

  20. If I am homeless, what do I use as a residential address?

    You must obtain a voucher from an approved Indigent Resource Provider (non-profit agency).

  21. I'm over the age of 18 and recently moved to Georgia with an unexpired out of state driver's license/ ID. How can I obtain a Georgia driver's license/ ID?

    If you have an unexpired driver's license/ ID in another state, you will need to have proof of your identity, residency, and citizenship.  You must also surrender your out of state driver's license/ ID.  New to Georgia

  22. Can I use a personal check as proof of residency?

    Yes, checks are accepted as proof of residency as long as your full name and address is listed on it.

  23. What is the meaning of “existing DL or ID?”

    Customers currently holding a valid or unexpired Georgia DL/ID/Permit. If the Georgia DL/ID/Permit is expired, then it must be expired for less than 2 years.

    NOTE: This does not apply to customers who leave Georgia and return with an out-of-state license.

  24. Do you offer the knowledge exam in foreign languages?

    Yes, the Road Rules portion of the Knowledge Exam is available in the following foreign languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Turkish and Vietnamese.  The Road Sign Test, however, is only available in English. All drivers must have the ability to read and understand simple English such as used in highway traffic and directional signs.  (Testing Information) (Practice Test)

  25. Does the GA DDS accept same-sex marriage certificates?

    Yes, on June 26, 2015, the United States Supreme Court ruled that all States recognize same-sex marriage.  Same-sex marriage is recognized in the State of Georgia.

  26. How can I schedule a Road Test?

    Reservations for Road Tests may be made by calling our Reservation Hotline at  678-413-8400.  Road Tests are offered at all locations except the Capitol Avenue location in Downtown Atlanta.  Reservations

  27. Can I call my local CSC to inquire about the wait times or weather conditions for the road test?

    No, we are unable to provide information on wait times or weather conditions.  Driving tests are not given when weather conditions make it unsafe for the driver or the examiner. Motorcycle Road Tests are not given during inclement weather nor when the pavement is damp.  Tuesdays are typically busy.  Please plan ahead.  To reschedule your reservation, contact our Reservation Hotline at 678-413-8400.

  28. I'm over the age of 18 and not a U.S. Citizen. How can I obtain a Georgia driver's license?

    If you are a Non-citizen, you must provide proof of your legal status in the United States, identity, and residency in Georgia.  You must also pass the vision, knowledge, and driving exams.  Drivers from Other Nations

  29. Can I apply for an extension on my driver’s license if my immigration documents are still being processed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services?

    Yes. The Department of Driver Services provides a one-time 120-day extension for any non-citizen who meets the following requirements:

    • Must be an existing DDS customer
    • The Georgia license, permit or Identification card must have expired or must be expiring within thirty (30) days
    • Must provide proof of having requested an extension for time to remain lawfully within the United States by presenting an original I-797C Notice of Action.
  30. How much is the driver's license renewal fee?

    See the Fees and Terms page for more information on License/ID/Permit card fees and terms.

  31. I lost my Georgia driver's license/ ID and I don't want my identity to be stolen. How can I get a new license number?

    You can obtain a new driver's license number/ ID number by bringing a copy of the police report which clearly states that your driver's license or ID was stolen or compromised. If your license or ID was stolen, we recommend the following precautions: Monitor your banking and credit cards. Watch for any indication that anyone is using your personal information. Monitor your personal information by regularly requesting a credit report. You may also wish to place a fraud alert on your credit file, Driver's License Fraud.

    See the Fees and Terms page for more information on License/ID/Permit card fees and terms.

  32. Can I use my temporary license for traveling purposes?

    No, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) no longer accepts temporary licenses and ID cards as proof of identification for boarding flights.  Please refer to the TSA website for a list of acceptable documents.

  33. How can I replace my lost or stolen driver's license/ ID?

    You may apply for a replacement driver's license or ID at any CSC location.
    Click here for a list of acceptable documents to bring.

    You may also apply for a replacement driver's license online.

  34. Can I use my P.O. Box as my address?

    Yes, a P.O. Box can be printed on your license.  But we must also maintain a verifiable residential address for our records. Click here for a list of acceptable documents proving residential address.

  35. Does the Department of Driver Services handle car registrations and tags?

    Georgia Department of Revenue handles all vehicle registration and tags. For more information please visit the Georgia Department of Revenue website.

  36. Am I required to have a medical report to obtain a license?

    A medical report (Form DDS-MR-287) must be completed by your physician if you have or ever had any physical or mental disability or disease which could interfere with your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.  Special restrictions may be required.  Medical Information