IMPORTANT NEWS FOR CDL DRIVERS
SELF-CERTIFICATION/ MEDICAL CERTIFICATION CAN BE COMPLETED ONLINE
Complete Self-Certification & Medical Documents
To better assist Commercial Driver License (CDL) holders licensed in Georgia to self-certify the type of commerce in which they operate and if required providing medical documentation, DDS has launched a new internet service. Please select the button above to complete this process on-line.
To complete self-certification or to determine if medical documentation is required, a driver must answer the following two (2) questions:
1) Determine where you are driving a commercial vehicle:
InterState – I am driving from one State to another State or foreign country; or between two places within a State, but the cargo either originated in or will travel to another State or foreign country.
IntraState – I only drive within a State. The cargo on the vehicle originated in the state and will not leave the state.
2) Determine if Medical documentation is required for purpose in which you operate a Commercial Motor Vehicle:
If you drive only for one or more of the reasons listed below, you are EXCEPTED
- School bus operations
- Transportation performed by a federal government, state or political subdivision
- Occasional transportation of personal property (Personal use)
- Fire truck or rescue vehicle
- Custom farm harvesting operations
- Private motor carrier of passengers for non-business purposes
- Human corpse, sick or injured persons
- 9-15 passenger van (<26,001 pounds)
- Controlled and operated by a farmer but is not a combination vehicle (no hazardous materials)
- Emergency delivery of propane
- Drivers of migrant workers
- Beekeeper in the seasonal transportation of bees
If you drive for any other reason than those listed above, you are NON-EXCEPTED
Based on your answers to the 2 questions listed above you will be certified into only one of the four (4) categories listed below:
1. Non-excepted Interstate (NI) - I operate or expect to operate in interstate commerce and am required to maintain federal medical certification. (Medical Certificate/Card Required)
2. Non-excepted Intrastate (NA) - I operate or expect to operate only in intrastate commerce and am required to meet FMCSA driver qualification requirements. (Medical Certificate/Card Required)
3. Excepted Interstate (EI) - I operate or expect to operate in interstate commerce, but engage exclusively in operations that qualify me for exception from the requirement to maintain federal medical certification.
4. Excepted Intrastate (EA) - I operate or expect to operate only in a city, county, state or federal vehicle only, and I am exempt from the FMCSA driver qualification requirements.
CDL holders can no longer claim exemption from medical certification requirements because they are not currently operating in non-excepted interstate or intrastate commerce. If not specifically included above, they must maintain their medical certification or certify into an Excepted category.
If CDL holders are required to provide a medical certification then they must continue to carry all medical certification documents with them at all times even after completing the self-certification process with DDS.
- To assist you in determining which type of commercial motor vehicle operation to self-certify please view the FAQs.
- To read more about the new Medical Certification Federal Requirement visit http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/medical/medical.htm.
- To view and update your CDL self-certification category and medical document information that is on file with the DDS, go to Online Services and log into your online account; or, create an account if you do not currently have one.
Drivers can submit their self-certification, medical certification or medical waiver along with the “Commercial Self-Certification Form” (DDS Form 1207) by either:
- Complete self-certification, medical certification or medical waiver online.
- All documentation may also be submitted in person at any DDS Customer Service Center (CSC).
- Fax to 770-918-6251. Submissions by fax must be for individual customers. Submission of documentation for multiple customers may be sent by mail. Please include copies of each medical certificate/medical waiver (if required) and notice (if applicable) and self-certification form to:
Department of Driver Services
Post Office Box 80447
Conyers, GA 30013
For assistance, please call the DDS Customer Contact Center.
Additional information :
COMMERCIAL DRIVER SELF-CERTIFICATION FORM DS 1207
Last Updated On: 3/26/2013