- Applicant must be at least 17 years of age.
- Pass Knowledge Exam (if applicable)
- Pass Road skills Test.
- Pass Vision Exam.
- If applicant is under 18 years of age then a parent/guardian or responsible adult is required to sign the application for the driver's license. The participating signatories also have the authority to request the driver's license to be revoked at any time before the applicant's 18th birthday.
- Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful presence in the United States. Click here for more information.
- An applicant new to Georgia must surrender a driver's license/permit/ID card issued by another state.
- If the applicant previously was issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen, the applicant must provide a certified copy of his or her driving record or motor vehicle report from the state that issued the card. The MVR must be dated within the last 30 days. The DDS does not accept uncertified copies printed from websites, but a fax may be sent to the DDS directly from the other state agency.
- If under 18 years of age, a Certificate of Attendance, (DS-1), must be dated within the last 30 days or a High School Diploma or GED is required.
- All documents must be in English.
FEES and TERMS - Select for Details.
Last Updated On: 11/18/2014
- An alternate method that an applicant can acquire a motorcycle license (Class M) is the following:
- Complete the Georgia Motorcycle Safety Program Basic Course and, if successful, present the 90-day License Test Waiver to a DDS Customer Service Center.
- Pass the Vision Exam.
- Other fees may be required.
- Benefits for taking the Basic Course are:
- Learn to operate a motorcycle safely.
- Professional in-class and on-cycle training.
- Successful completion earns a Class M (motorcycle) license.
- Motorcycle and helmet provided.
- The introductory/ Basic Course is intended for a new rider with little or no experience. The Cost is $250.00. For details and online registration visit the Motorcycle Safety Program webpage.
- Students, under age 18, who successfully complete the Basic Course, earn a 90-day License Test Waiver. However, to obtain a Class M license, the student must be at least 17 years of age BEFORE the 90-day waiver expires and must also comply with the requirements of Joshua's Law.