- Applicant must be at least 16 years of age.
- Applicant must have held an Instructional Permit for a minimum one year and a day Permit must also be surrendered at time of testing.
- No major traffic violations that resulted in the suspension of the Instructional Permit and prohibit issuance of a Class D.
- A minimum of 40 hours of supervised driving experience with at least 6 hours of driving at night.
- If 16 years of age, Joshua's Law Requirements must be satisfied.
- Pass Vision Exam.
- Pass applicable Road Skills Test.
- Applicant under age 18 is required to have parent/guardian, responsible adult or authorized driver training instructor to sign the application for the driver's license. Responsible adult only applies to emancipated applicants with court ordered documentation. They also have the authority to request the driver's license to be revoked at any time before the applicant’s 18th birthday.
- Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Click here for more information.
- Applicants new to Georgia must surrender any out-of-state driver's license/permit/ID card.
- If the applicant previously was issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen, the applicant must provide a certified copy of his or her driving record or motor vehicle report from the state that issued the card. The MVR must be dated within the last 30 days. The DDS does not accept uncertified copies printed from websites, but a fax may be sent to the DDS directly from the other state agency.
- A Georgia DDS Certificate of School Enrollment (DS-1) must be signed and notarized from the applicant’s school. It is only valid for 30 days.
- All applicants under the age of 18 not enrolled in school must provide a high school diploma, GED, special diploma, certification of high school completion, or proof of enrollment in a GED program or a postsecondary school.
- ADAP or eADAP certificate of completion.
- All documents must be in English.
FEES and TERMS - Select for Details.
- May not drive between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 5:00 a.m. (Effective July 1, 2014), no exceptions.
- During the first six (6) months following issuance, only immediate family members can ride in the vehicle.
- During the second six (6) months, following issuance, only one (1) passenger under 21 years of age and who is not a member of the driver’s immediate family can ride in the vehicle.
- After the first and second six (6) month periods, only 3 passengers under 21 years of age and who are not members of the driver's immediate family can ride in the vehicle.
Last Updated On: 12/10/2015
- At age 18, a driver can upgrade a Class D provisional driver's license to a Class C "under 21" driver’s license.
- If the applicant has not completed a certified Georgia Driver Training/Driver Education course, he/she cannot obtain a Class D license until age 17.Since January 1, 2013, (pursuant to Senate Bill 236) the DDS accepts out-of-state Driver Training certificates of completion from military dependents who move to Georgia within nine (9) months of their sixteenth (16th) birthday. The parent's Military Orders are required for proof of active military service.