- Applicant must be 18 or older.
- Pass Vision Exam.
- Pass applicable Commercial Driver's License Knowledge Exams for the type of permit requested.
- Possess a valid Georgia Driver's License
- Certify their Driving Category
- Provide medical Certification, if required
- Provide Medical Waivers, if required
- Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful presence in the United States. Click here for more information.
- All documents must be in English.
FEES and TERMS - Select for Details.
- Persons 18 to 21 years of age may obtain a commercial driver's license, but will be restricted to drive in Georgia only. On or after the 21st birthday, the driver must go to a DDS Customer Service Center to have the "Georgia Only" restriction lifted.
- All applicants must be able to read and understand the English Language.
- Must operate the appropriate class of vehicle and be accompanied by a person who is licensed to drive that class of vehicle, who is fit and capable of exercising control of the vehicle and who is occupying a seat beside the driver.
Last Updated On: 11/18/2014
- Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings (GVWR), which determines the class of commercial driver's license being issued.