Department of Driver Services (DDS) Commissioner Reminds Veterans & Active Military of Free Services


As Veteran’s Day approaches, Commissioner Rob Mikell, Department of Driver Services (DDS), reminds Georgia veterans and active military personnel of special licensing and testing services dedicated to them.  DDS is proud to support these honored Georgians by offering free driver’s licenses and ID cards for veterans, free testing for veterans including the Troops to Trucks Program and courtesy renewals for those active troops stationed out of state. 

“I commend these honored Georgians for their unquestionable commitment to service,” Commissioner Mikell said.  “The DDS customer service initiatives are a well-deserved acknowledgement by our state, and we are now proud to serve you,” he added. 

Free Veteran Services

·         Honorably discharged Veterans can receive free licenses/ID Cards by obtaining a ‘DDS Certificate of Eligibility’ (DS-516) from the Georgia Department of Veteran Services.  The veteran will then bring the DS-516 Form to any DDS licensing customer service center for issuance of a free license and/or ID.  Veterans’ license & ID Cards are specially marked with an American Flag in the upper right hand corner and the word VETERAN printed in red on the front of the card.

·         Once a veteran presents the DS-516 to DDS, all license/ID renewals and testing services will remain free for the veteran for life.

·         The spouse of a disabled and honorably separated veteran who does not have a driver's license or the unmarried spouse of a deceased and honorably separated veteran is entitled to the same free driver's license available to the veteran by following the same process. 

Courtesy Renewal by Mail for Active Military

·         DDS supports Georgia’s current servicemen and women who are unable to renew in person.  Customers stationed out of state in the military and their dependents stationed with them are offered the opportunity to renew by mail.  Information about this service can be found at the DDS website here

Troops to Trucks

·         The Troops to Trucks program allows qualified military service members the option to apply for a Commercial Driver License (CDL) without having to take the skills (Road) test.  Active military service members that are eligible should be honorably discharged within 90 days or less of applying and be experienced in operating a commercial motor vehicle for at least two years prior to discharge.

Please visit the DDS website for complete driver licensing and testing information at