(1) Applicants for special prestige license plates must submit a Special Prestige License Plate Application (form MV-9B) and the manufacturing fee of $25.00 to the tag agent in the county wherein the owner of the vehicle resides during the period specified by the Department. The county tag agent may waive the application form requirement if the owner applies for the special prestige license plate in person in the office of said tag agent.
(2) Special prestige license plates for motorcycles are restricted to a maximum of six (6) letters, six (6) numbers, or any combination thereof totaling no more than six (6). All other special prestige license plates are restricted to a maximum of seven (7) letters, seven (7) numbers, or any combination thereof totaling no more than seven (7). No punctuation or symbols are allowed. All requests for a special prestige license plate will be approved based upon the order in which they are received. No combination shall be issued on a special prestige license plate that duplicates a regular issue license plate. Applicants should print or type in the spaces provided on the application form the alpha and/or numeric characters desired and leave blank any spaces not used. The burden of proving eligibility for a special prestige license plate shall always be on the applicant.
(3) The Commissioner or his/her designee shall review all applications for special prestige license plates to determine the propriety of the content requested. The Department and/or county tag agent shall not issue a special prestige license plate the content of which is determined by the Commissioner or his/her designee to fall into any of the following categories:
A. Contains language, a message or material considered to be obscene according to current community standards;
B. Contains language, a message or material that defames or ridicules a person, group, religious belief or being, race or ethnicity;
C. Contains language, a message or material indicating an office or position unless the applicant holds such office or position, including, but not limited to an elected office, employment as a police officer, firefighter, emergency medical technician, paramedic or first responder;
D. Contains language, a message or material using or implying the use of profanity;
E. Contains language, a message or material subject to a trademark or copyright unless the applicant owns the trademark or copyright;
F. Contains language, a message or material referring to a crime or criminal activity; or
G. Contains language, a message or material that might reasonably invoke violence upon persons or property.
The Department or county tag agent shall recall and cancel any special prestige license plate that may later be determined to fall into any of the aforementioned categories.
(4) If an application for the manufacture of a special prestige license plate is submitted by mail and subsequently denied, the Department or the county tag agent shall return the application to the applicant indicating that the request is denied and shall issue a refund under separate cover of the manufacturing fee and special tag renewal fee.
(5) A person to whom a special prestige license plate has been issued may request a special prestige license plate with the same information for the next license plate period in the manner prescribed by the Department during the person’s registration month in the year prior to the issuance of the new license plate or during a time period determined by the Commissioner. If the owner fails to make such request by the end of his or her registration month in the year of the next license plate period or during the time period determined by the Commissioner, the special prestige license plate combination previously issued to the applicant will be made available to other applicants on a first-come, first-approved basis.