1. The fee charged to the person who opts to renew a drivers license or identification card by means other than by personal appearance shall be reduced by $5.00.
2. Persons who renew by mail may pay the applicable fee by certified check, cashiers check, postal money order, or personal check. Checks must be made payable to the Department of Driver Services.
3. Persons who renew by telephone or by electronic means may pay the applicable fee by use of such credit cards or debit cards as from time to time may be authorized for use by the Department.
4. If a check is returned by the drawer’s bank for any reason, the Department shall assess a returned check fee of $30.00 or 5 percent of the face amount of the instrument, whichever is greater. Additionally, the Department shall charge an additional fee in an amount equal to that charged to the Department by the bank or financial institution as a result of the check not being honored. The license or identification card shall be cancelled, and shall not be reinstated until the person pays the applicable fee and the returned check fee. The Department may require that payment in this circumstance be made in cash. For the purposes of this regulation, payment through the use of a debit card shall be deemed to be payment by check.
5. If a credit card transaction is rejected or the subject of a “charge back,” the license or identification card shall be cancelled, and shall not be reinstated until the person pays the applicable fee. The Department may require that payment in this circumstance be made in cash.
6. The Commissioner may, in his sole discretion, debit any “merchant fee” imposed by a credit card issuer against receipts prior to transmission of receipts to the Treasury, or may impose a convenience fee as provided by law on credit card transactions.