(1) Whenever the Department has reason to believe that an applicant is physically or mentally incompetent to operate a motor vehicle, the applicant shall be given a medical report form which must be completed by a physician of the applicant's choice and returned by the physician directly to the Department before the application will be taken under consideration by the Department. The submission of such reports is to be without expense to the State.
(2) Upon receipt of the completed medical report forms, the Department shall send copies of the same to the Chairman of the Drivers License Advisory Board. The Chairman shall designate an appropriate member of the Board to review each applicant's report and to make recommendations to the Department. If necessary to aid in its evaluation, the Board may request that further information be supplied by the applicant, or that the applicant submit to a re-examination by a medical specialist within the applicant's geographical area. If re-examination by a specialist is required, the applicant shall be given a list of approved specialists from which to choose for re-examination and additional medical report forms, which are to be sent directly by the specialist to the Department. The Department will then route the specialist's report as outlined for the original medical reports. Submission of specialists' reports is to be without cost to the State.
(3) If either the original medical reports or any supplemental specialist's reports shall confirm the applicant's failure to meet the State's visual standards, the Department shall not approve the application for driver’s license and shall so advise the applicant.
(4) If upon receipt of the Drivers License Advisory Board's recommendation or other pertinent information, the Department decides to disapprove the application for driver's license, the applicant shall be advised of this decision and his opportunity for a hearing as provided in Rule 375-3-5-.09.
(5) An applicant with a physical impairment that the Department believes requires special consideration for safe driving, may be given the drivers license examination and be issued a drivers license that is restricted in use according to the requirements of Rule 375-3-1-.05.