(1) Every driver training school instructor shall be a person of good moral character, and at least twenty-one years of age.
(2) Every instructor shall have a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle before applying for a driver training school instructors' license and this license must be the same class license for class being taught.
(a) No applicant will be approved who has had his/her driver's license suspended for any reason or who has had a conviction as defined in O.C.G.A. §40-5-1(6) or otherwise entered a guilty plea, had a bond forfeiture, or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any offense that resulted in a mandatory suspension of his or her driver's license within five (5) years prior to making application.
(b) No applicant will be approved whose driver's license has been suspended two (2) or more times or who has had a conviction as defined in O.C.G.A. §40-5-1(6) or otherwise entered a guilty plea, had a bond forfeiture or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any offenses that resulted in two (2) or more mandatory suspension of his or her driver's license within five years prior to making application.
(c) No person with a conviction of a felony or any other crime involving violence or a crime of moral turpitude, or a pattern or misdemeanors that evidences a disregard for the law, will be licensed unless he or she has received a pardon and can produce evidence of same. For the purposes of this chapter, a plea of nolo contendere shall be considered to be a conviction. For the purposes of this chapter, a conviction for which a person has been free from custody and free from supervision for at least ten (10) years will not be considered, unless the conviction is for an offense which is a dangerous sexual offense as defined in O.C.G.A. §42-1-12 or the criminal offense was committed against a victim who was a minor at the time of the offense.
(3) Every application for an instructor's license must be accompanied by a physical examination report and the drug screening laboratory report, administered within thirty (30) days prior to the application, on a form prescribed and furnished by the Department.
(4) Every applicant must:
(a) Present to the Department an official transcript from a college or university which indicates that the applicant has earned such college credits in driver education and safety or;
(b) Successfully complete a written examination administered by the Department, which will test the applicant's knowledge in the field of driver education and his or her ability to impart driving skills and safety to students.
(c) Every instructor application shall be accompanied by one (1) 2 X 2 inch photograph of the applicant; the photograph shall be taken within thirty (30) days of the date of filing the application. The photograph must show a full view of the face, neck, shoulders and uncovered head.
(5) The driver training instructor examination will be administered on the 2[nd] and 4[th] Thursday of each month at the Department headquarters unless specifically notified of change in schedule in advance.
(6) Application for an examination must be accompanied by a fee of $25.00 by money order, certified or cashier's check payable to the Department. The fee is non-refundable.
(7) Applicants must pass this examination in three (3) attempts or within three (3) months of date of application, whichever comes first, or the application will be rejected.
(8) Every application for an instructor's license must be accompanied by a fee of $5.00, by money order, certified or cashier's check payable to the Department. Such fee shall be non-refundable if the application is denied.
(9) Every application for a renewal of an instructor's license shall be made on a form prescribed by the Department and must be filed with the Department not more than sixty (60) days nor less than ten (10) days preceding the expiration date of the license. A fee of $5.00 must accompany the application by money order, certified or cashier's check payable to the Department. Such fee shall be non-refundable if the application for renewal is denied.
(10) The instructor's license will expire four years from date of issuance unless otherwise canceled, suspended, or revoked by the Department.
(11) Any person whose instructor license has not been renewed within a one year period shall re-qualify for a new instructor's license pursuant to these rules.