Terms used in these rules have the following meaning:
(1) "Certificate" means a certificate issued by the Department of Public Safety, whether interim or permanent.
(2) "Chauffeur" means any person who meets the qualifications as prescribed in O.C.G.A. §§ 40-1-151(2) and 40-5-39 and who is authorized by the Department of Driver Services to operate a limousine.
(3) "DPS" means the Georgia Department of Public Safety.
(4) "Department" means the Department of Driver Services.
(5) "For hire" means to operate a motor vehicle in this state for the purpose of transporting passengers for compensation or donation as a limousine carrier, ride share network or driver, or taxi service.
(6) "For-hire license endorsement" means an endorsement to a driver's license pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 40-5-39 that authorizes the holder of the license to operate a motor vehicle for the purpose of transporting passengers in this state for compensation or donation as a limousine carrier, ride share network or driver, or taxi service.
(7) "Limousine" means any motor vehicle that meets the definition set forth in O.C.G.A. § 40-1-151(4).
(8) "Limousine carrier" means any person operating a service regularly rendered to the public by furnishing transportation for hire, not over fixed routes, by means of limousines, or extended limousines, on the basis of telephone contract or written contract.
(9) "Private Background C heck" means a local and national criminal background check conducted by the taxi service, limousine carrier, or ride share network service that employs such driver which shall include a review of driving history, search of the national sex offender registry database, and search of criminal records.
(10) "Ride Share Driver" means an individual who uses his or her personal passenger car, as defined in O.C.G.A. § 40-1-1(41), to provide transportation for passengers arranged through a ride share network service.
(11) "Ride Share Network Service" means any person or entity that uses a digital network or internet network to connect passengers to ride share drivers for the purposes of prearranged transportation for hire or for donation. This term shall not include any corporate sponsored vanpool or exempt rideshare as such terms are defined in O.C.G.A. § 40-1-100, provided that such corporate sponsored vanpool or exempt rideshare is not operated for the purposes of generating a profit.
(12) "Taxi Service" means any taxicab company or provider which utilizes a motor vehicle or similar vehicle, device, machine, or conveyance to transport passengers; uses a taximeter; and is registered with the Department of Public Safety and, if applicable, is authorized to provide taxicab services pursuant to an ordinance of a local government of this state.
(13) "Taxi Driver" means an individual who is authorized to operate a taxicab for the purpose of carrying or transporting passengers.