As used in this Chapter, the following terms have the meaning set forth below, unless expressly provided otherwise:
(1) “Commercial vehicle policy” means a policy of motor vehicle liability insurance affording coverage to a motor vehicle that is rated or insured as a business or commercial use vehicle or is licensed by the State as a commercial vehicle.
(2) “GEICS” means the Georgia Electronic Insurance Compliance System, the Department’s electronic database of motor vehicle insurance coverage information.
(3) “Minimum motor vehicle insurance coverage” means minimum coverage as now or hereafter defined by the General Assembly in Chapter 34 of Title 33 of the Official Code of Georgia.
(4) “Proof of minimum insurance coverage” means the Department’s receipt from an insurer authorized to do business in Georgia of notice of the coverage of a vehicle with a policy of insurance satisfying the minimum motor vehicle insurance coverage requirements via electronic transmission by means approved by the Department. The term also includes, when applicable, alternative means of furnishing proof provided for in O.C.G.A. § 40-6-10.
(5) “Terminate” and “termination” mean the actual cessation of insurance coverage after the date upon which coverage will not be restored for any reason, including without limitation cancellation, nonrenewal, and non-payment of premium, without regard to whether or not the cessation of coverage was preceded by any extension or grace period allowed by the insurer.
(6) “Fleet policy” means a commercial vehicle policy that insures two or more vehicles that are not identified individually by vehicle identification number on the policy or a commercial vehicle policy that is subject to adjustment by audit for vehicle changes at the end of the policy period.
(7) “Lapse” means one or more days upon which the records of the Department do not reflect that a motor vehicle was covered by a policy of minimum motor vehicle insurance coverage.
(8) “Day” means a twenty-four hour period, measured from 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time until the following 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time.