As used in this Chapter, the following terms have the meaning set forth below, unless expressly provided otherwise:
(1) Beginning November 1, 2002, any insurer issuing or renewing any policy of motor vehicle liability insurance on a vehicle required to be registered in this State in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 34 of Title 33 of the Official Code of Georgia shall, within thirty (30) days after the date on which the agent binds the coverage or the date such coverage was renewed, provide notice of the coverage of such vehicle by electronic transmission to the GEICS. Insurers shall commence reporting of policies previously exempt from the GEICS reporting requirements, and shall submit an initial load of all reportable policies previously exempt, not later than September 1, 2003.
(2) Prior to submitting information to the GEICS, each insurer must register with the Department for the purpose of obtaining access to the GEICS. The GEICS is a secured database accessible only by authorized users.
(3) All information must be submitted in a format previously approved by the Department that is compatible with the GEICS. Bulk submissions must be encrypted using Secure FTP or other form of encryption previously approved by the Department that is compatible with the GEICS. Individual submissions may be submitted electronically via the GEICS Insurance Activity Form. Initial loads may be submitted via 3490 Magnetic Cartridge in a format previously approved by the Department that is compatible with the GEICS.
(4) Once coverage data has been transmitted to and accepted by the GEICS regarding a vehicle, there is no requirement for the transmittal of data regarding subsequent renewals of coverage for the subject vehicle(s).
(a) Insurers shall provide the following information upon initial issuance or renewal of coverage: name of insurer, vehicle identification number (“VIN”), make and year of the insured vehicle, and policy effective date.
(b) Insurers shall provide the following information upon termination of coverage: name of insurer, vehicle identification number, make and year of the insured vehicle, policy effective date, and date of coverage termination.
(c) Insurers may provide additional information in optional fields if those fields are made available.
(6) The vehicle identification number submitted to the GEICS shall be the vehicle identification number as shown in the Georgia Registration and Title Information System, or “GRATIS.”
(7) A vehicle covered by a fleet policy is not subject to these requirements.
(8) Terminations of coverage shall be reported to the GEICS by electronic transmission on or before the date coverage ends. If the termination is at the request of the insured, the termination shall be reported on the day that the request is processed by the insurer.