On July 1, 2012, DDS implemented additional procedures that enhance the integrity and security of your Driver's License (DL) and Identification Card (ID)
resulting from the Federal requirements of the Real ID Act. These new procedures will require that you bring additional documentation with you when you visit one of our Customer Service Centers (CSC). If you currently hold a valid Georgia DL or ID, you will be issued a Secure ID DL/ID at the time of your next renewal or reinstatement.
If you do not hold a valid Georgia DL or ID, you will be issued a Secure ID DL/ID at the time of your application.
These documents will include the following:
- At least one (1) original or certified document to prove your Primary Identity;
IF YOU HAVE EVER BEEN MARRIED OR DIVORCED: If the last name appearing on your Primary Identification document (ex. Birth Certificate, Passport, etc.) is different from your current name, then you must be prepared to present additional support documents (ex. Marriage Certificate, Certified Marriage Application, Certified Marriage License and/or Divorce Decree.).
If I use my Passport as my Primary Identification document and it shows my married name, do I still need to provide proof of marriage? No, if your Passport has been updated to show your married name as your legal name, you do not need to show additional documentation proving identity.
I've been married for many years, and need to renew or reinstate my Georgia DL or ID, do I still need to provide proof of marriage? Yes, despite the length of time you have been married, you must provide supporting documentation such as Marriage Certificate, Certified Marriage Application, Certified Marriage License and/or Divorce Decree to verify your identity.
- At least one (1) document to prove your Social Security Number;
- At least two (2) documents to prove your Residential Address (which can have non-essential information redacted or crossed out such as account numbers, financial figures or other information that does not obstruct your name and address);
- Appropriate Name Change documents, if needed.
IMPORTANT NAME CHANGE INFORMATION:If you are a US Citizen and your name has legally changed from the name shown on the Primary Identification document which you plan to provide as proof of identity (ex. Birth Certificate, Passport, etc.), then you must be prepared to present additional support documents (ex. Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Adoption Decree, etc.).
- Customers who hold a valid GA Driver’s License or ID Card are to present the original or certified copy document which supports the most recent name change.
- Customers who are new to Georgia must provide the complete trail of original or certified copy documents which support ALL name changes.
To assist with collecting your documents, DDS has created a Checklist Wizard
that will allow you to print a custom Checklist of your documents or you may
choose to print the full list of acceptable documents. Please follow the links
below to create the Checklist of your choice.